Sunday, November 11, 2012

Mike the Man

I received these thoughts from Mike after I wrote about Elder Cooke's thoughts.  I appreciate his concerns and insights.  Start from the bottom up...
 
I found this quote and it may just be what I was needing to see.
 

“These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.”

-Thomas Paine
He wrote this in December 1776, a few months after the Declaration of Independence and after the 20,000 US soldiers were reduced to 2,000.  A few died but most had left because their contract was up and felt justified leaving with the doubts from George Washington's army being unsuccessful up to that point.  Paine pondered those circumstances and wrote this on the head of a drum.   He wrote more than this and I'm sure it's worthy of quotation, but I needed this quote in particular.  I heard it on the Glenn Beck show today and felt it was heaven talking to me.  I have taken lightly the liberty and benefits of our country, it has been given to me and I haven't had to truly pay for it.  I think the principle applies to much of what we have talked about this week in paying the price to read and study the scriptures and in becoming a true disciple of Christ. 
I am fearful.  I hope I can live up to the task -both in liberty and in the Gospel.  This may the turning point of my life.  This may be divine providence -God allowing certain things to take place to try men's souls, to cause them to rise above the failure that is in their hearts.  I wished for men to make the right decisions, but I believe God must now compel us to be humble.  
I have to go to class, but I wanted  to share this with you.  
Mike (again)  
   

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Michael Fontano <michaelfontano@gmail.com> wrote:
I thought I understood hearts failing until last night.  Honestly, I can't believe we are destroying ourselves.  I guess I have to think that the church is still true in Europe.  How could this stuff happen.  The strange thing is that I felt so amazing about Romney and felt all was going to be good -perhaps the feeling was more about things being okay in the long run.  Time will surely tell, but I can't help but think your email came as a preemptive strike against this confusion. 

I was glad to see Chris Stewart won as did your Governor.  I can't believe the State of Nevada though, although Dean Heller did get elected to the senate, so that's a silver lining.  I'm sure you really don't want to have a political conversation, but my life appears to be in conflict today. 

Talk to you later,

Mike

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Kathleen Fontano <kathleenfontano@yahoo.com> wrote:
Mike:  I love you so much!


From: Michael Fontano <michaelfontano@gmail.com>
To: Kathleen Fontano <kathleenfontano@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2012 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: Dear Family

I wish I had something profound to say other than thank you, but it seems fitting to me to say.  I appreciate this email and even though I thought "she's not talking to me", I think it all applies.  I have had a goal to do what you're doing -reading the scriptures and conference reports everyday- but continue to put lesser things above them.  Everything else you have said really is speaking to me.  Your review of Elder Cook's talk was such a great lesson on the need to review them intently.  I watched it but don't think I recalled much of what he said (of the years and years of conference talks I've heard I wonder how much I am really missing.) 
 
I think that it is so relevant to these times.  I'm often awakened to the prophesy of D&C 88:91, that "...surely, men's hearts shall fail them..."  I can see it in the world around us, but perhaps more in my own life and thoughts.  This talk is an antidote to those doubts.  I yelled at the kids on the bus the other day and ended up feeling really bad about it.  It was on a Friday and I decided I needed to ask them to forgive me for my actions.  I spent the entire weekend wrestling with the idea that I didn't need to really ask them to forgive me, I mean I was the authority and blah, blah, blah.  I have no doubt a 33 year old should have this lesson down, but I don't.  I fought against myself for quite a while.  I ended up doing it and I was so amazed at the feelings of peace that came into my heart.  Then this girl said it wasn't a big deal and that she wasn't upset by what I had done and she forgave me.  The thing is that it was really one kid that was upset and made it known that I was rude -he was the one not forgiving me after I apologized.  This girl telling me she forgave me, even though she said it wasn't a big deal, helped me to keep working on this other kid. 
 
This is kind of a ramble but I became aware of the fact that I haven't really had the Holy Ghost with me.  I have been lazy in spiritual things and have failed my wife in many ways.  I thought I was amazingly patient too, then I got married. 
 
Thanks again for the letter, so for the somewhat random thoughts here.  I guess I wanted to let you know that perhaps the feelings you had to write this were for me and me alone.  So I appreciate you not making me feel so isolated as to bring in the rest of the family for my sensitive feelings. 
 
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment