Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Long Month - A Great Friend

This has been a long, long month and it really only started getting long and hard on the 15th.  I will never really forget the moment.  Jim got a phone call from Bishop Lundquist.  He was actually still in bed.  I heard him say "Richard Jensen?" and I had the worst feeling ever. 
Richard had been in Idaho working on the school house.  He went for an early morning walk or jog and was found on the side of the road about 6:40 am.  He had a massive heart attack.  I do not think that words could ever express how profoundly this affect our lives and how much it will affect us for so many years to come. 

Richard and Susan are surely our closest friends ever.  Jim and Richard have always enjoyed each other's company and this was a blessing since Susan and I hit it off so well right from the beginning.  Susan and I worked in Relief Society together and then in Young Women.  Jim and Richard enjoyed music and started their trio with Zhailaa and then later with Abi.  We loved to play Hearts and other games together.  We took a number of trips including the California Coast in Cuyucas one winter, cruise to Mexico, cruise to Alaska, several weekend trips to Salt Lake City during Christmas and also a week in Hawaii, several days in Park City and a week in Southern California.  We were planning for some time in Hilo, Hawaii at a beach house that the Jensens had access to.  We often said that we were glad we took those trips together even though we couldn't really afford them - and we especially appreciate that time now that we can no longer do it.

My heart has hurt so badly these last weeks:  for Richard of course and yet I know that he is in a better place and is happy.  I grieve for those of us left behind... Susan will suffer for forever I am sure.  She is going to be sad every day and no one will ever be able to replace her husband in her life.

I know that Jim is feeling such a great loss.  Richard was his best friend ever.  I can remember hearing him often on the phone calling just to chat and laughing with Richard about something or other.  They both enjoyed their times on the stage and even their times when we would just be together and Richard would bring out the guitar or uke and start playing and they would start singing "The Fish Song" or some other favorite.  It was a source of great joy for Jim.

All of our kids have expressed thoughts of love and appreciation for the Jensens.  Uncle Richie was always so interested in them and took time to express how he cared whenever he saw them.  He was Laura's first Sunday School teacher in New Harmony and she has loved him ever since.  He always cared about Amy and David as well as the other boys.  He just had a way of making others feel important and cared about.  We spent some great times with the Jensens and I am glad for Amy's wedding at their house where we were able to gather as a family at their home and enjoy such a beautiful setting for the reception.

I have thought about how being with Richard has had an affect on my life as well.  We kidded each other a lot.  He liked to see me get riled up with Jim and would often laugh when the teasing started.  I don't know that I ever really let my guard down around other men except my family and being with Richard and Susan let me be me comfortably.  They are like family and will forever be so.  I always knew he loved us... not just Jim but me and Jim.  He was a great friend whose memory I will cherish and reverence.  He set a great example of service and kindness. 

I do not believe that he thought of himself as any great man.  He didn't acknowledge his great talents as anything special and yet he created such beautiful items, he sang with such a clear and lovely voice, he played the guitar and ukelele without ever making a mistake.  He was a great teacher and a good leader.  He was willing to serve no matter what the need.  He enjoyed people and they were drawn to him because of his sincerity and brotherly love.

I guess life will go on without him but not without his influence and the blessings we have received from knowing him.  I will forever be grateful for the times we have spent over these last years.  We will watch over Susan and try to help fill her lonely moments.  We will try to bring some joy to her life and help her in any way we can.  She is as dear as a sister to both Jim and I.  It will be our pleasure to share our time with her... we are planning on a round of 5 Crowns this week.  At least we won't have to worry that Richard will whoop us like he usually did!


No comments:

Post a Comment