Sunday, December 26, 2010

Joy to the World

Christmas came and went so fast this year that I wondered if I even felt the spirit of it.  In reflecting I know that I have enjoyed Christmas after all.  I certainly enjoyed decorating baskets for customers and helping them create gifts for their friends and family.  Friday, Christmas Eve, we made $742 which was our biggest day ever.  We were busy and we were creating most of the day.  I also enjoyed having some of  the family there to help out.  It made it fun.  I made a salsa and chips basket and a pasta basket for an order Jim took.  They turned out very cute.  Also I made a soup bowl basket for a fellow and thought it was cute.  I find it interesting that work can be so fun.  A challenge to create, to talk to people when you are busy trying to get things done, to dust and keep things looking orderly,  It is a changing store.  We are constantly moving items.  John put in wire and attached music speakers on Thursday and Friday and they are going to be awesome.   Just hearing the music piped in on Christmas Eve was so great.  I like to have a candle burning and music going every day.  People always mention that it smells good in here so we want to keep that feeling alive and welcoming.

So anyway, Christmas eve was the first I have ever worked.  I didn't mind it as much as I thought I would. I think the benefit for me was to have some of the family helping me work.  It is a joy to be together.  There are also a lot of fun people out there.  I  met a gal named Chris last week and she is so cute.  Tim from the radio thought she might be Dave's "friend" when she was in a few days ago and we all laughed since she is closer to my age than Dave's by a lot.  Anyway, she came in since then and we just had a great time talking.  She gave me some cellophane bags in exchange for a bit of ribbon and tissue since I had run out.  I hope she comes in often.  I remember that she is fairly new in town.  She was a cutie and that is what makes doing what I do worthy it to me.  You can't  see it in the money but you can get so much value in other ways.

We had fondue for Christmas eve because we only had adults here.  We had to wait for Amy to get home from Walmart but it took us from 5 to 8:45 to get everything ready:  chopping veggies, meat, fish, bread.  Jim made an incredible broth and he made some fantastic dips.  I don't know if we'll do it again on New Years.  If Jim and Clo are here besides Laura and Nigel it would be fun.

Cbristmas morning was certainly different.  We slept in until 9:30 am and then just slowly opened our presents.  It was fun to watch Mike and LIana interact with their gifts.  They have a greatt time together with Mike constantly joking and Liana laughing.  They are such a cute couple and it has been so fun to have them here with us this year.  Something different for Liana as it has been her first Christmas away from her Parent's home.  I am sure they were missing her as well and glad that they shared her with us.  Liana will leave for home by herself tomorrow (well with Karcher) and Mike will stay until Friday.  I am sure he will keep us laughing the whole week.  It was also Dani's first Christmas away from home and we are so grateful that she gave us that time.  She is fun to have here and I know how much Dave enjoys being with his siblings.

I talked to Jim and Clorinda and the kids for awhile tonight and then with Laura and Shey.  Mike kept taking the phone and pretending he was either Dad or I... Shey thought he was hilarious.  I guess the Jim Fontanos had fun in D-land with their friends from Provo even though it rained a good part of the time... we all know that rain means shorter lines though and as Clayton said he got on Space Mountain in lest than 5 minutes so that was all worth it.

I think everyone liked their gifts.  We bought the boys rubberband guns from the shop and Clayton sounded like he was even enjoying his.  The only one that didn't get one was Donny who is just a little too small.  The girls got Grandma Vi's porcelain dolls that she earned at Avon.  Particularly Sara's girls seemed so pleased with them...  John is building them a shelf for their bedroom and they will keep them on.  I didn't give one to Shey or Anna yet but I will.  I didn't dare mail one to Abbie either but will take her one someday when I visit Houston.

So obviously I am not sleeping tonight.  I have been up for over an hour reading John's blog and then working on mine.  I am so grateful for John's example.  I feel this is a good way to evaluate my days and although I am not as consistent or creative as John I like the idea he shared to looking over my day, on seeing how well I have served, of reviewing my attitude and making sure I am on track.  I also must say that if Johnboy wonders if he has done any good in the world... he has certainly been a blessing in our lives since he has been here.  His faith and obedience are amazing,.  I pray everyday that he will find Joy as he works to complete his assignments here.  And although his kids might not realize what a blessing he is in their lives and they might not know how to express gratitude for all he does for them... we notice and we are all so proud of all he does for his family and for us.

On that note don't want to forget Amy, my other children and their spouses and my grandchildren and my sweet husband.  I love them all so much.  I love to hear the "Grandma" sound whenever I see these little ones. It was so fun to share dinner with Jay and Sara and the kids tonight. The kids were so excited about their new toys.  Jack, Andy and Natty came over in their new pj's that their Mom had helped them monogram and Andy wore his Ironman helmet and arm shooter and magnetic dial.  Jack brought his Stinky garbage truck that is amazing and showed us how it worked.  Natty was here with smiles and excitement as well. I loved talking to Marien, Clayton, Kathryn and Shey tonight on the phone.  I also loved hearing Grandpa chat with Shey and wished I had suggested he talk to the other three.  We will call Pete today and talk with his three darlings as well.  That to me is what Christmas is about - the blessing of family and the fact that we have a common testimony of the Savior.  I thank the Lord everyday for the faithfulness of my children and their children.  I'd say that I do know "Joy in the World."

Life is good.  Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment