Monday, June 13, 2011

To the Basement

Today we moved the basket making area back down to the basement in the new building.  I was hoping to have a nice area upstairs but it was unrealistic.  We need the space upstairs for selling and I can easily make baskets or florals in the basement.  There is a lot of room to work so I really shouldn't complain.  Perhaps it is the 500 lbs. of cherry chips stacked next to where I will work that bother me... what does one do with all of those chips... I don't even want to carry them upstairs and yet I think they need to go to the dumps - they have to be 5 or 6 years old .  I have tasted some however and they don't taste bad.  We might decide to make some cherry chip cookies with them.  Maybe we could make some cherry chip fudge.  Whatever we do, I don't think we'll ever get through all of those bags!
The basement also smells like the bakery or at least a bakery.  I doubt that smell will ever go away.  One day we need to clear out all of the old pans and other junk down there. I think we're going to put in a sink and work table for doing flowers.  Perhaps it will end up to be a great hangout for all our little projects... Even if it is, I doubt I'll ever like being down in the basement. 
That is kind of funny too because I used to have a basement club when I was about 6.  We met in my aunt's basement where we were living. all of my parents stuff was stored down there and we would crawl in behind some boxes and play club.  Later, at Susan Pollocks we had an attic club in her attic of course.  That club had a bit more culture and we would produce plays.  At the same time, we had a basement at our house and that basement club would buy and sell various items found in the basement. 
So in my early years I guess I was preparing myself for being relegated back to the basement... like it or not. To bad this building doesn't have a real attic...

No comments:

Post a Comment